Monday 29 February 2016

A Little Colour to My Life: Birthday Time

The beginning of March always marks the start of Birthday season. There seems to be a birthday every week for almost a couple of months and mine is towards the end of March too. I’ve also already been put in charge of making colourful paper pompoms for a birthday/Mother’s Day celebration at the weekend!

Birthdays always make me think of colour and even when there is no celebration on the books I occasionally browse party decorations! At this time of year, when spring is right there on the horizon, they get me thinking of sunshine and even, perhaps a little ahead of time, outdoor summer picnic parties!


Clockwise from Top Left

These are a novelty treat. For birthdays I am more inclined to one main birthday cake or a plate of cupcakes; however there is just so much colour and fun involved in these sprinkled chocolate party spoons that I love them! I saw the sprinkles and the metallic balls, and I flashed back to my childhood. We always had silver balls for decorating cupcakes and I can practically hear the crunch as you almost break your teeth on them!

I think I’ve had more than one birthday cake that was adorned with smarties. I like that it is an easy way of bringing colour to what might be an otherwise boring sponge cake. For that reason I am also a fan of this DIY pompom cake.

To my eternal dismay, I don’t have a lot of experience with confetti. I remember it at weddings as a handful of pastel colours. These bright and shiny confetti sticks are more my cup of tea!

I’ll admit I went off balloons for a while. One exploded within millimetres of my face and it took a bit of time to get over the shock. I don’t know whether it is embarrassing or not to admit it, but I am still a little wary of them! However I think confetti filled balloons would be enough to distract me. They’re just so cool! If they did happen to pop, it’ll be a mighty colourful explosion!

Fruit Loops will forever be a part of me. They are reminiscent of a childhood trip to Canada. I remember munching them in a hotel and I think I can still remember the layout of the room… but then again I was under five at the time! As more and more ‘American candy’ becomes accessible here in The UK these marshmallow bars are actually a possibility. But is it a memory I wouldn’t want to taint? Will they taste different now that I am an… what do they call me?... an adult?

Happy Monday!!

Katie 

No comments:

Post a Comment