Tuesday 30 May 2017

A Weekend in Sussex

Last Bank Holiday I went down to Sussex for a weekend away. It is somewhere I haven't spent a lot of time but now I would  like to go back! The area where we stayed was beautiful cottage after beautiful cottage. The village had a green in the middle of it and more than one pub. We had do-it-yourself quesadillas one night. The chicken came sizzling on a skillet.   


Petworth 

On the first day of our weekend we went to Petworth House. For a weekend that saw us hiding from the rain for a chunk of it we got lucky with blue skies and fluffy white clouds. A cup of tea, a look around the house (renowned for its art particularly the Turners) and a visit to an exhibition of Sky's Landscape Artist of the Year was topped off with a wander into the grounds. 



Little Hampton

The second best thing to a beach in the sun is a beach on a grey, windy day. It all looks a little moody and you can wrap up like Michelin Man! Trust me I did. It was so blustery that as I rearranged my scarf I was overwhelmed and got lost in it.  


Not exactly a vibrant day at the beach but I'll always enjoy a wander down to the water or a walk along a very British promenade.


This 'bench' seemed to run the length of the beach with coloured panels all along it and a couple of these installations too. 


Weald and Downland Living Museum

It is always interesting to see a snatch of history in this way - with buildings from all different eras. I don't think I've been to a museum like this since I was a child so it was nice to go back now I'm older. However the child in me couldn't resist making a wish and blowing away the clock of a dandelion. There was a meadow filled with them and a small lake with adorable little ducklings.


This day was a mess of crazy British weather. I started the day in layers and was down to a t-shirt at one point. That was for a second before the sun slipped behind the clouds and I needed to put a jumper back on. Still with moody clouds and blue skies everything was very vivid.


Getting a breath of fresh air is one of my favourite things to do. I try to do it on the day to day but it is always nice to escape for a few days. 

I hope you had a lovely long weekend. I got a good dose of laughter, friends, family and food. 

Katie 

No comments:

Post a Comment